Gluten-free, grain free and Vegan. This delicious salad is packed full of detoxifying nutrients, antioxidants and flavour!
The smooth silky texture and softness of the roasted beetroot (beet) and aubergine (eggplant) is balanced perfectly by coarseness of the quinoa, brought together in the sweet ginger, garlic and honey, balsamic and olive oil dressing.
Detox is always a buzz word in January and can have me running for the nearest bar, ha ha ha!!
I wouldn’t advocate a total January detox unless you have fully researched it and it is something you REALLY want to do and know the full benefits for you.
Often a January detox can leave us feeling deprived of some of the very things we might need just a little of to get us through what can be a tough month, recovering from the festive period and waiting a long time for pay day.
I say do whatever works best for you but for me it’s all about balance. January is an excellent opportunity to take a little break and give our bodies a bit of a well earned rest and love. This salad ticks all the boxes and is also extremely yummy.
- 1 x cup of Quinoa (approx. 150 grams)
- 2 x aubergine chopped in to bite size chunks
- 4 x beetroot (pre-cooked and rinsed or fresh with their skins on)
- Olive oil
- 1 x clove of garlic
- 4 x tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 x tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 x teaspoon of runny honey
- 4 x tablespoons of finely chopped flat parsley
- 1 x teaspoon of minced ginger
- Salt and Pepper to season
- pre-heat the oven to 180c, gas mark 4, 356f
- Cook the Quinoa, rinsing under cold water then adding to a pan with an equal cups of water (this works best for me). Bring to the boil then simmer with a lid on for 10 mins. Take lid off cover with a tea towel for 5 mins then fluff with a fork.
- Lightly cover the aubergine and beetroot (if using fresh) in Olive Oil and place in the oven to roast for approx. 20 mins. Take out of the oven and turn over with a spoon and put back in for another 15mins. If you are using pre-cooked beetroot rinse, cut in to bite size chunks, cover lightly in olive oil and add now to the aubergine and roast for another 15 mins.
- Gently whisk the olive oil, ginger, garlic and balsamic vinegar in to a dressing.
- Dress the roasted veg (removing beetroot skin and chopping in to bite size pieces if using fresh) with half of the dressing and chopped parsley.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and gently heat the quinoa and roast veg together and add the rest of the dressing.
- Season generously with Salt and Pepper to taste and serve.