Quinoa, Celeriac and Goats Cheese Burgers with Chicory, Pear and Apple Salad
Quinoa is one of those ingredients that can make people pull a funny crinkled nose facial expression. Similar to that you’d pull if you find you’ve trodden in something. A quinoa face.
I often find myself quickly saying. I know. I didn’t used to like it. Cook it the right way and it will surprise you. It’s very versatile and can be delicious. I use Ms Paltrow’s method and it has never failed.
The producers of Quinoa should send me marketing cheques.
I’ve blogged before about how quinoa was gold of the Inca’s as they believed it gave stamina to their warriors. See my warrior salad.
I for one think the Inca’s we’re on to something. I now love quinoa and eat it a lot, so after seeing a few quinoa burger style recipes around I thought I should try my own.
The goats cheese and celeriac are quite indulgent ingredients so I paired them up with a simple, sophisticated, classic French style salad.
The acidity of the pears and apples perfectly compliment the creamy richness of the celeriac and goats cheese creating a wonderful almost magical balance.
These tasty little burgers and cheeky French salad make a lovely light lunch or a great starter.
Let me know what you think and please feel free to like and share.
Quinoa Burger (makes 4 good sized patties)
1 x small celeriac
1 and 1/2 x cups of quinoa
2 x tablespoons of soft goats cheese
1 x tablespoon of gluten-free flour
2 x tablespoons of finely chopped coriander
2 x heads of chicory
1 x eating apple
1 x pear
1 x small handful of chopped walnuts
1 x tablespoon of Dijon mustard
3 x tablespoons of olive oil
1. Cook the quinoa (rinse the quinoa, and add equal water to quinoa i.e. 1.5 cups) bring to the boil then simmer for 10 or so mins, cover with a tea towel and then fluff with a fork)
2. Peel and roast your celeriac in a little olive oil at 180c, Gas Mark 4, 350f until soft (approx. 30 mins)
3. Mix in the rest of the ingredients and shape in to 4 burger patties
4. Put a little olive oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers turning every minute or so until cooked through (approx. 5 mins)
1. Trim off the bottom of the chicory and cut the leaves in two length wise
2. Core the apple and pear and cut in to very fine strips
3 Sprinkle the walnuts pear and apple over the chicory
4. whisk the oil and mustard together and dress the salad immediately before serving.