You don’t need to eat gluten-free, or Paleo, just like fantastic tasting food to enjoy this avocado stuffed Portobello mushroom wrapped in streaky bacon.
On a Monday morning I like to ease myself in to the week and try and make things as simple and stress free as possible. This morning this was my little start of the week present.
I love Portobello mushrooms and had planned to use these for another delicious dish I will blog at another date soon, but this morning the cold rain outside was shouting bacon!
Bacon has had a bad wrap for many years but now lots of studies and nutritionists are singing it’s praises and there are lots of good reasons to do so, including being good for our brains. There is also a reason why we feel so good after eating bacon, it’s a mood elevator! See more info in the Good Stuff below.
So here is my Portobello mushroom, stuffed with mashed avocado, spring onions, thyme, halloumi wrapped in bacon. Hmmm… now this is what I call a breakfast and what better way to start the week.
Monday’s Magic Mushroom
- Portobello mushroom (ideally organic)
- 1/2 an avocado mushed up with a fork
- 1 x whites of spring onion thinly sliced
- 1 x think slice of halloumi, a little smaller in size than your mushroom (easy to omit if you don’t eat cheese/dairy)
- a few thyme and rosemary leaves
- 3-4 slices of streaky bacon cut to the size of you mushroom (ideally organic)
- Sea salt and pepper to season
- pre-heat the oven to 200c, gas mark 6, 400f
- Fill the mushroom with the mashed up avocado
- sprinkle with the spring onion and thyme
- lay the halloumi over the top and sprinkle with the rosemary leaves
- cover the top of the mushroom with the bacon slices
- season with salt and pepper and cook in the pre-heated oven for 20mins and Enjoy!
The Good Stuff
A great source of vitamins B and D, fibre and germanium which helps cellular oxygenation and supports the immune system. They are also known to be great cleansing foods due to their high levels of anti-oxidants and can have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects.
A real super food. Packed full of Vitamins C and E, folate, potassium, healthy fats, omega 3 and 9 and antioxidants. They also contain powerful anti-inflammatory plant hormones; phytoseterols, camprsterol, beta-sitosterol and stigmasterol.
It’s flesh and oil are unique and help reduce inflammation, improve fertility, keep joints supple and reduce blood pressure.
Is high in vitamins B1, B2, B12, Zinc and B6 and contains phosphorus, pantothenate, magnesium, iron and is an excellent source of protein. It has been shown to naturally lower blood pressure and blood sugar levels. It is also an excellent source of choline which feeds brain growth and maintenance. Not all bacon is equal as some can be highly processed and full of chemical nasties, so it’s always best to buy from a butcher you trust, or ideally organic and local or all 3. I also buy nitrate free bacon. See here for more interesting facts on bacon.