Are you a warrior? Do you care? Stay with me (just for a bit) and let me explain…
Isn’t it amazing how evocative words are? Warrior is one of my favourites. But what does it mean? A brave experienced fighter. Some might call fearless. It’s also the name of a series of yoga poses that build strength and stability.
You might think of a warrior being synonymous with fighting and war. But I believe you don’t have to cause harm to be a warrior. I believe a warrior’s strength is not from fighting, it is courage from within. We are all warriors.
We are all striving every day, sometimes it might be for something small sometimes it might be everything:
we might be trying to find a way to live our life after the death of a loved one; to hold that longed for child in our arms; to heal our body of disease; to find the strength to face our addictions; to find the support and help for our child with health or learning difficulties; to walk away from that person, job or situation that is doing us more harm than good; to follow our dream(s); to find the energy to get through the day after being up all night with a small child; to live in the moment…We are all the same.
Every day I’m struck by someone’s immense courage, strength and power and yet we often don’t realise it or give it the credit and pat on the back we deserve. We criticise our efforts. We dwell on the negative and live in fear. We don’t see how much we’ve already achieved.
We don’t trust that we are much more powerful than we can ever imagine and we alone can curate and create our own life stories and path. We are all our own heroes.
You might be reading this and thinking ,’yeah right, what a load of wacked up shit…’ but why not try it? However dark things might be why not give yourself a break and think as the people at Nike say ‘Just do it’. Believe, ‘I can do it’. Give yourself a break. Find your own answers. Make your own way and live YOUR life.
This Warrior Salad is an update one of my very first blog posts, Green Warrior Salad see here. This is one of my favourite go-to lunches and is really for inspiration to show how easy it is to eat deliciously and healthily. It is full of super nutrients and goodness that will fuel the warrior within you.
A delicious every day salad full of green goodness and avocado creaminess in a sweet divine dressing. Easily adaptable and great with the addition of seeds, nuts, chicken or sulphite free pama ham.
- 1 x cup of petit pois or garden peas (frozen or fresh)
- 3 x generous handfuls of baby spinach (if you can, ideally use organic)
- 2 x avocados
- 1/2 x cucumber (if you can, ideally use organic)
- 1 x medium sized broccoli
- feta cheese to crumble
- 3 x tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 x teaspoons of lemon juice
- 2 x teaspoons of raw honey
- 1 x teaspoon of dijon mustard (check it’s GF)
- good quality sea/rock or himalayan salt
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil and add your broccoli florets and boil for 3 mins, then add your petit pois. Boil for 2/3 mins then rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Slice your cucumber and avocados into approx. 1 cm strips.
- Mix your peas, spinach, cucumber, avocado, broccoli and feta together in a bowl.
- Whisk your oil, lemon juice, mustard and honey together, season with the salt to your taste and dress your salad.
Notes: This salad is best eaten immediately. It will travel, for up to 5 hours, but do expect some discolouring of the avocado.
This post is dedicated to you, and the warrior within you and to all my wonderful friends who every day inspire me through your kick ass warriorness, you all know who you are and I love you.